Skip to content ↓




Art and Design is a practical subject which encourages students to learn about themselves and the world around them in a creative way. Students learn about the visual qualities of different materials and how to manipulate these to suit their own purpose. There is an emphasis on the vocational nature of the subject, with links to architecture, graphic design and illustration. Students develop their practical abilities whilst also developing their thinking skills and ability to respond analytically to aesthetics. 


Key Stage 3

Students in Year 7 and 8 will work through several projects that will focus on a particular genre, skill and culture. New skills are introduced each year and students will continue to practice skills learnt in previous years and they will have the opportunity to work in a variety of materials, 2D and 3D.

Projects in Year 9 become more self-directed with students being encouraged to respond to a theme in individual ways. Students might look as an example of a project title; ‘Portraits’, ‘Day of the Dead’, ‘Gothic Art’ and ‘Architecture’.

It is very important to us that every student is introduced to all art disciplines, from drawing, painting, printing and sculpting in order to learn & develop skills which can then be taken onto a higher level at GSCE and A-Level.

Topics are created by the teacher and are tailored accordingly taking into account the individual needs of each group. Below is a rough outline of areas covered throughout the three years of study.

Year 7- Line drawing, mark making, shape & form, shading, colour mixing, tonal ranges, colour theory, brush control, paint application, string print, mono print, press print, card relief, clay title, wire manipulation, artists and cultures.

Year 8 - Directional shading, blending, foregroung & background, acrylics, watercolour, paint techniques, collograph, low relief printing, collage, wire, card, clay, papier-mache, artists and cultures.

Year 9 - Perspective drawing, foreshortening, perspective painting, composition painting, styles, stencil, mulit-layered, clay heads, pots, papier-mache, artists and cultures.


Key Stage 4

At GCSE level, students develop a more sophisticated approach to their artwork. The focus is on building a successful portfolio of work, which demonstrates their strongest abilities. Students are encouraged to develop a much more independent and experimental approach to their work. They are provided with a selection of starting points to create a very personal, self-directed project. Through this, they demonstrate recording skills as well as an ability to develop their own ideas and experiment with a range of materials.

Year 10 - Students develop responses to initial starting points, project briefs or specified tasks and realise intentions informed by research, the development and refinement of ideas and meaningful engagement with selected sources. Responses will include evidence of drawing for different purposes and needs and written annotation.

We adapt the starting points each year, however these are some of the topics we cover in GCSE Art; Identity, underwater, Surrealism, reflection, opposites, culture, natural form and social issues.

Year 11 - Students will further develop their skills and work independently to create several personal responses.

Students will produce a portfolio of work that forms 60% of their final GCSE grade with the exam forming the other 40%. There are also trips to galleries and the opportunity to work beyond the school classroom environment.