Mrs Chopra - Director of learning (G08)
What happens this year?
Year 7 is the start of your learning journey within The Westgate 6 curriculum, providing you with the environment to transition effectively from primary school. The curriculum is based on the key characteristics of effective learning, equipping you with the necessary skills and competencies to promote active learning throughout your school life.
Six key skills form the foundation of the curriculum and The Westgate Schools teaching and learning. The six skills are; Effective COMMUNICATOR, Creative INITIATOR, Adaptable LEADER, Independent ORGANISER, RESILIENT Learner, ANALYTICAL thinker.
The transition follows into Year 8, where you will attend one hour weekly Westgate6 sessions to support your continuing learning development. This year will be vital as it allows you to explore subjects which you may look to choose in Year 9 for your GCSE options. In Year 8 you are encouraged to develop resilience by independently learning and you are provided an engaging environment to do so.
How will I support you?
- Work with your tutors for the year group to produce engaging activities for tutor time; embedding cross curricula opportunities, including literacy and numeracy as part of the Westgate 6 programme
- Managing your attendance and academic progress, working with teachers and pastoral staff to ensure you fulfil your potential.
- Liaising with your parents and guardians, ensuring they are kept informed of your attainment and obtaining their support in your development.
What to look out for this year?
- Exciting Westgate 6 Entry and Exit days.
- Sporty Friday’s during tutor time.
- Celebrations of success