Fine Art A-Level
Description of the subject
Our Fine Art course is flexible and stimulate creativity, offering a high degree of choice and a range of different media, processes and techniques. It will give you the opportunity to produce a portfolio of work that you can show to prospective employers or use to help secure a place in higher education.
You are able to work in painting and drawing, sculpture and ceramics, printmaking, digital and video art and mixed media. You are required to submit a coursework portfolio containing a personal investigation and complete an examination project.
Your portfolio of work will consist of:
- at least one extended collection of work or project, based on an idea, concept, theme or issue. This should demonstrate your ability to sustain work from an initial starting point to a realisation.
- evidence of your ability to research and develop ideas and link your work in a meaningful way to relevant critical/contextual materials.
Portfolios may also include:
- critical/contextual work, which could include written material such as journals, reviews, reflections and evaluations, annotations and historical background material.
- sketchbooks, workbooks, journals.
- where appropriate to your area of study, test pieces, samples, storyboards, models or maquettes
During the first year, you will build on your critical awareness and technical ability you have nurtured at GCSE while producing work with greater social awareness.
The first year offer you an opportunity to fully develop and explore your chosen specialism(s) whilst expanding your knowledge, understanding and skills in a range of specialist areas. You will develop a deep understanding of your chosen specialism and the ability to critically evaluate your own work and the work of others.
In their second year you are required to conduct a practical investigation, into an idea, issue, concept or theme, supported by written material. The focus of the investigation must be identified independently and must lead to a finished outcome or a series of related finished outcomes. Therefore, you are able to tailor the course to fit your individual needs, choices and aspirations in order to follow your chosen progression route through to Further or Higher Education or the workplace.