Description of Subject
Biology is the study of life and living organisms and it is fast becoming a subject which is hard to ignore. Any newspaper article or television programme is likely to contain some aspect of Biology, for example gene technology, global warming, endangered species, genetically-modified foods, transplants, cloning and cancer. A Level Biology aims to enhance your understanding and appreciation of these issues and provides an opportunity to discuss and research items in the news.
A level Biology provides good preparation for university courses in medicine, dentistry, veterinary science and other medically-related degrees. It also proves a useful foundation for a wide variety of higher education courses such as physiotherapy, psychology, pharmacy, forensic science, ecology and sports science. It complements other A-level courses such as Chemistry, PE and Mathematics.
The course followed is Edexcel Biology B.
In Year 12 you will study four topics:
- Topic 1: Biological Molecules
- Topic 2: Cells, Viruses and Reproduction of Living Things
- Topic 3: Classification and Biodiversity
- Topic 4: Exchange and transport
- “A very interesting subject, much more in depth than GCSE, and one in which you always leave the lesson fascinated by a new process in the human body”.
- “A thought-provoking and challenging subject”.
The course followed is Edexcel Biology, further information can be found: http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/biology-b-2015.htm