Welcome to French GCSE
French is an increasingly popular subject at GCSE, as well as being an EBacc subject, it will broaden your child’s horizons and could improve their chances of getting their dream job.
GCSE 7 Harleen M, GCSE 7 Ria Kumar
I chose French as an extra because it is not too difficult and having two languages on my CV will boost it. It is an EBACC, the course is good and it is the kinda subject which is the easiest for me and I am prepared to do the work. Thanks for teaching me miss your the best, Veer B.
When will my child sit the GCSE exam?
They will sit the exam in summer 2023
What does the GCSE involve?
It involves Reading (25%), writing (25%), speaking (25%) and listening (25%)
How will I know what they will be tested on?
Please rest assured that we will provide your child with a course specification and detailed scheme of work as well as past papers so they know what to expect in the real exam.
Will my child sit the Foundation or Higher paper?
Your child will sit a mock test initially towards the end of November 2022. We will mark the papers and then we can determine whether they would be best suited to the Higher or Foundation tier.
How can I help my child prepare for the language GCSE?
Encourage your child to watch television shows or movies in the language. Cartoons with subtitles are great so that your child can read and listen in the target language simultaneously.
Encourage them to go online on Kerboodle (Digital textbook) and work their way through the online resources.
Encourage your child to be organised Having a folder set up, with dividers for each theme, will help them when it comes to revision.
How can the school help my child?
- We will give your child access to past papers and mark schemes and will conduct all exams at our school.
- We have subscribed to various language programmes online such as Linguascope and Language Nut which will help your child learn vocabulary and grammar in a fun, yet thorough way.
- We will use our own teaching staff to conduct the speaking exams
- We will be running ‘Support sessions’ after school to sense check progress and consolidate vocabulary and grammar learnt in class.
- We can offer tips and techniques on how to revise and maximise your child’s potential.
For further information please contact:
Ms N Siddiqui firstname.lastname@example.org Curriculum Leader of Modern Foreign Languages