Skip to content ↓

Health and Social Care

Health and Social Care

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care - (Equivalent of 1 A-Level)

Qualifications to start the course

Expected GCSE requirements for BTEC study should include BTEC first Health and Social Care, but if not you must English and Science Level 6 and an interest in working within the sector.

Description of the subject

The health and social care sector is a major employer of almost 4 million people in the UK, many of which are highly skilled. Almost 1.7 million job openings are expected over the period to 2020. It also makes a vital contribution to all other aspects of the economy and society by creating a healthy and productive workforce and by caring for the ageing and the vulnerable. Services provided by the sector will touch every individual and family in the UK - A practical and vocational qualification. With this in mind we try to deliver as practically as possible with an insight into the “real” workings of health and social care.

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” Leo Buscagila

Over the one year, you will study:

  • Human Lifespan Development
  • Working in Health and Social Care
  • Psychological Perspectives
  • Meeting individual Care and Support Needs

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Health and Social Care - (Equivalent of 2 A-Levels)

In Year 13 you will get the opportunity to “top up” your qualification to a Diploma. As well as the units, you have already studied in year 12 you will also work on the following additional units:

  • Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care
  • Principles of Safe Practice in Health and Social Care
  • Promoting Public Health
  • Nutritional Health

It is important to note that the two units of “Human Lifespan Development” and “Working in Health and Social Care” are externally assessed written examinations. If these units are failed, you cannot pass the qualification. The unit, “Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care” is an externally set controlled assessment. The rest of the units covered are assessed internally through assignment work.