MATHEMATICS ‘A’ LEVEL
Description of subject:
To encourage students to:
- Develop their understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment.
- Develop abilities to reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning to generalise and to construct mathematical proofs.
- Extend their range of mathematical skills and techniques and use them in more difficult, unstructured problems.
- Take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
At AS Level you will study:
- Core 1
- Core 2
- Mechanics 1
- All units are equally weighted
- All examinations are of 1 hour 30 minutes duration
- Core 1 is the only paper which is non-calculator
- “The Maths Department obtains the best results from us by making the work challenging and imaginative”
- “The teaching is excellent and the teachers are always there when you need help”
- “We are expected to work hard, but the results make the effort worthwhile”
Our aim is to provide the best possible mathematical education for the students at the school. We believe that we must teach the mathematical skills necessary to prepare them for life beyond school. Maths plays an important role in all occupations and industries and all aspects of personal finance, such as investments and mortgages and we need to prepare students for this life. We believe that all students should reach their potential in terms of examination results, and we work hard to prepare and support our students. Students should also enjoy Maths, and we try to communicate a passion for the subject through enthusiastic teaching and innovative and exciting teaching methods.
AS/A Level Mathematics builds on existing knowledge from GCSE as well as introducing some completely new topics. The course helps improve students' problem solving and analytical skills as well as providing the mathematical tools that can be used in many other subjects.