Media Studies A-Level
At Key Stage 5 students follow the diverse WJEC Eduqas Media Studies A-Level course. Students will study a variety of units of learning, both theoretical and practical, including Online Media, Television, Film, Online Magazines, Blogs, Video Games, Media Industries, Newspapers, Music Videos as well as Advertising and Marketing. Students will also produce a cross media production and appear for exams.
Eduqas Media Studies A-Level Aims and Objectives:
This specification recognises the fundamental relationship between theoretical understanding and practical work, providing learners with exciting opportunities to develop media production skills. Learners will apply and develop their knowledge and understanding of media language and representation in relation to media forms and products, and become creators of meaning themselves. Learners will be offered a choice of briefs and forms within which to work, enabling them to explore and pursue their own media interests.
The WJEC Eduqas A-Level in Media Studies offers a broad, coherent and engaging course of study which enables learners to:
- Demonstrate skills of enquiry, critical thinking, decision-making and analysis
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of a range of important media issues
- Develop appreciation and critical understanding of the media and their role both historically and currently in society, culture and politics
- Understand and apply specialist subject-specific terminology to analyse and compare media products and the contexts in which they are produced and consumed in order to make informed arguments, reach substantiated judgements and draw conclusions about media issues
- Appreciate how theoretical understanding supports practice and practice supports theoretical understanding
- Develop practical skills by providing opportunities for creative media production.